University of Wolverhampton
Elite Centre for Manufacturing Skills (ECMS) Project
The privacy notice explains how the University of Wolverhampton collects, uses and stores your personal information with particular reference to the business engagement support that is being provided to beneficiaries through the ECMS Project, on behalf of the Black Country Local Enterprise Partnership/Midlands Engine’s Black Country Local Growth Deal.
Who we are
The University of Wolverhampton as the Project Sponsor (‘we’ or ‘us’) is a ‘Data Controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation (including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation) and we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. This notice explains how the University and specifically the ECMS Project, will collect and process your personal information for business engagement and support purposes.
Information we collect
We obtain personal information about you from the following sources:
- You providing your personal and/or business information through our website – i.e. when enquiring/expressing an interest in receiving specific support from a member of the ECMS Team, arranging to use the ECMS facilities or expressing an interest in receiving general information from the ECMS including the ECMS News sheet and/or information about promotional activities such as supported events, webinars and training courses. This information is stored as hard copy and electronically in ECMS records.
- You providing your personal and/or business information through direct contact with a member of the ECMS team to enable a range of business support activities as outlined below, which is recorded and retained via the ECMS Project record forms which are required in order to provide and record the business support as requested and agreed. This information is also stored as hard copy and electronically in ECMS records. This might include:
1. Completed and/or returned surveys or response/feedback forms including those by mail and via electronic means.
2. Personal and/or business information provided to us when you to register to attend an event including face to face training events and webinars supported/promoted by the ECMS Project.
3. A screenshot of your image taken if you are attending an ECMS supported webinar event which will be captured at the beginning, during and at the end of each webinar event. This activity may also be supplemented by way of a recording of the event also being taken.
4. You providing personal and/or business information as part of discussions with any of the ECMS team or Project/University representatives whether in person, via email, telephone or another on-line communication mechanism or through one of our Partner Organisations in order to enquire, initiate and subsequently engage in business liaison and support with the ECMS. This information is recorded on relevant Project forms and in electronic Project records.
5. You engaging in training/information support through one of our Training Associate Organisations either by direct contact (i.e. face to face training) and/or through their webpages (i.e. webinars). In addition, the ECMS/ University of Wolverhampton might also use an internal business engagement referral system with your prior consent. This information is recorded on relevant Project forms and in electronic Project records.
6. When you book to use or to hire ECMS Facilities including training rooms, workshop space, exhibition space, Sand or the Metallurgy laboratory space, through the completion of relevant Project forms (i.e. booking form) and in electronic Project records.
- If you are referred to the ECMS Project from a Project Partner Organisation (these include the University of Wolverhampton, Black Country LEP, Institute of Cast Metals Engineers, Cast Metals Federation, Confederation of British Metalforming, In-Comm Training Services Limited and Dudley College) or from any of our Training Associate Organisations with whom the ECMS has in place a Service Level Agreement.
- We may also obtain personal information from a small number of third-party sources e.g. if you have opted into receiving marketing information from one of our Partner organisations including other Projects and activities within the University of Wolverhampton, or if you have consented to your information being shared with us through one of our Partner Organisations.
We may process the following personal information about you:
- Your image if you are participating in a webinar hosted by the ECMS.
- Your title and full name.
- Your business details, including company address, company telephone/mobile number and company email address, position and organisation.
- Gender, Age and Special Categories of personal data such as information about your ethnic origin would only be processed where you had provided it yourself and with your consent, as a contractual requirement of taking part in the ECMS project either directly or as a contractual requirement of ECMS working with one of its Partner Organisations.
How we use and/or process your data
The ECMS will collect limited and specified personal information to enable it to deliver business support services and to enable it to comply with its contractual obligations from relevant external funding bodies (i.e. the Black Country Local Enterprise Partnership/Midlands Engine as the funding body through Black Country Growth Deal funding and Walsall Council as the Accountable Body for the Project) and to better understand its community so that it can meet the needs of its clients and continue to work effectively with its Partner Organisations and its Training Associate Organisations with a view to continually improving its services.
The ECMS may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- To keep a record of key activities and/or communications between you, the business you represent and the ECMS.
- To keep a record of key activities and/or communications between you, the business you represent, the ECMS and its Training Associate Organisation.
- To keep a record of key activities and/or communications between you, the business you represent, the ECMS and its Partner Organisation/s.
- To keep a record of your event registration and attendance through either a record of your feedback of the event or a visual record of your attendance at a virtual event (webinar) through screenshots.
- To respond to a request for statistical information from the Project Funding Body or from the Accountable Body.
We may from time to time contact you by email, post or telephone to pursue the purposes mentioned above and in particular for the following reasons:
- To identify and advise you of other relevant business opportunities where there is mutual benefit to both parties such as opportunities for collaboration.
- To keep you up to date with relevant events and activities at the ECMS, at Partner Organisations and with our Training Associate Organisations.
- To share relevant news and achievements of ECMS, its’ staff, Partner Organisations, Training Associate Organisation and any other contributing organisations.
- To invite you to business events which we feel may be of interest to you.
- To keep you up to date with other relevant information which maybe of interest to you.
If you would like to opt-out of the above Communications then please let us know. See “How to contact us” below for further information.
Who your information may be shared with
Your personal information is held within secure Project records both physically (paper) and electronically. We may disclose your personal data to other departments within the University of Wolverhampton, third parties working in partnership with or on behalf of the University (for example for evaluation purposes), and with Walsall Council (the Accountable Body) and with the ECMS Project funding body which is the Black Country LEP through its Black Country Growth Deal Funding, in order to comply with our contractual obligations.
Where personal data is processed by a third party we take reasonable steps to ensure that the data is processed strictly according to the requirements of the Project and for relevant purposes only in accordance with our contractual retention obligations. We take reasonable steps to ensure that third party processors are subject to written legal obligations in respect of data protection and the duty of confidentiality.
We do no sell or rent any personal information data supplied by you. We may compile aggregate statistics and provide them to third parties but we do not include any personal information that identifies individual users.
We will only retain your personal information in line with our contractual obligations. If you wish to request for any of your records to be removed from Project records or would like to opt-out of any or all communications from the ECMS Project, please see “How to contact us” and “Rights of Data Subjects” below for further information.
Rights of Data Subjects
- Right to request a copy of your information
You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of it, please visit the University of Wolverhampton Data Protection webpages available here: University of Wolverhampton Data Protection Information/
- Right to correct mistakes in your information
You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do so, please write to us (see “Contact Us” below) and provide us with enough information to identify you, as we as, inform us of the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
- Right to ask us to sop contacting you with direct marketing
If you would like to amend your mailing subscriptions or unsubscribe from the ECMS Project Newsletter or general database please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “Unsubscribe”.
Lawful basis for processing
The ECMS Project may reply on one or multiple grounds for processing your personal data including:
- You have provided consent for the processing.
- There is a contractual commitment to provide the services and therefore processing is necessary to meet those contractual obligations.
- The information is available to the public at large.
- Public interest.
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests of the University or other third parties and does not affect the fundamental rights and freedoms of the individuals concerned.
How to contact us
Should you have any queries, suggestions or issues please do not hesitate to contact the ECMS Project office on 01902 321678, email@example.com or alternatively, you can write to us at the following address:
If you have any concerns or believe that your personal information is being handled in a manner which is contract to statutory requirements, you may wish to contact eh University of Wolverhampton’s Data Protection Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org or make a formal complaint to the ICO at www.ico.org.uk